Carmo at Compamed: Carbon footprint calculator and new 180° Carmo SuperValve
With a new CO2 calculation tool, we are preparing ourselves and our customers for a future with more requirements for documentation. Hear about this and our new 180° Carmo SuperValveTM at the Compamed fair in Germany November 13-16.
From the turn of the year, with the introduction of the new EU ESG directive, CSRD, companies listed on the stock exchange with more than 500 employees can look forward to having to increase the degree of documentation of their production considerably. The directive also affects the supply chain, where companies such as Carmo A/S must now supply far more data about their environmental footprint than before.
However, Carmo is well prepared for the new documentation requirements, as we have worked intensively for several years to map our climate accounting. A work which has led to the development of Carmo’s own calculation tools under the common name “Carmo carbon footprint calculator”.
– We have come so far with our data collection that we can calculate and document what the individual parts of a production contribute to the overall carbon footprint of a product. Including, the climate impact from the electricity used by the machines, transport emissions and manufacturing of the raw materials and how much production waste there will be on the finished product.
Thereby we can provide the customers with a documented calculation of the CO2 footprint in order to meet the CSRD requirements.Anders Johnsen, Head of R&D and Technology
Documented CO2 reduction of 28 percent on Carmo SuperValveTM
Besides documenting the CO2 footprint on a product, the carbon footprint calculator plays a crucial role in the product development in the interaction with the customers.
– With the new tool, we can come up with qualified design and improvement proposals for our customers on a data-backed basis, because we can simulate the changes using the CO2 calculator method.
– This gives us the best conditions to develop together with the customer exactly the solution they need. We also use it to document the effect of redesign and production changes of products in our existing range.Anders Johnsen, Head of R&D and Technology
As an example of this, Anders Johnsen highlights Carmo’s product the Carmo SuperValveTM, which is a unique turn valve for urine bags. Based on user feedback, Anders and his team further developed the original design and production method of the valve so that it better suits the customer’s needs. At the same time, a CO2 reduction of 28% was achieved compared to a traditionally produced turn valve. This reduction corresponds to 13.3 kilos of avoided CO2 emissions for every 1,000 valves produced. This has been documented through CO2 calculations.
– The valve now opens to 180 degrees instead of the original 90 degrees. This makes the product more user-friendly and takes up less space in both the open and closed state. The carbon reduction has been achieved through streamlining production, where the valve is produced in one piece on a single machine and with less material than in a traditionally manufactured turn valve.Anders Johnsen, Head of R&D and Technology
Meet us at Compamed
When Carmo is exhibiting at Compamed in Düsseldorf – the leading fair for suppliers of components for the medical industry, November 13-16 – the carbon footprint calculator and Carmo SuperValveTM will be in focus. Here, you can see the redesign of the turn valve and have the opportunity to discuss the new ESG initiatives with Carmo’s employees at the booth.
Representing Carmo on Compamed:
- Ole Schak Nielsen, VP, Sales & Marketing
- Anders Johnsen, Head of R&D and Technology
- Malene Warhøi-Rasmussen, Key Account Manager for Medical Components
- Dennis Petersen, Senior Project Manager
Contact us for more information
If you want to know more about the Carmo carbon footprint calculator or the Carmo SuperValveTM, please contact us using our contact form on www.carmo/en/contact or call us on +45 4912 2100.